Monday, July 21, 2014

ARE PARENTS TOO CRITICAL OF THEIR SONS’ BASKETBALL PERFORMANCE?


Are parents of student athletes to critical of their sons’ performance on the basketball court? I ask that question to myself sometimes when I walk into a gym and find myself hearing parents shouting instructions and coaching from the sideline.

During the summer period kids go play on the AAU circuit for different reasons. Athletes want to get the best out of the AAU season while trying to get better for the high school or in some cases it is a time for kids to get recognized by college coaches.

I do truly believe that parents play a HUGE role in a player’s life on and off the basketball court. The thing that seems to bother me while I attend games and cover different games are the parents that think that they have to scream and yell and try to coach their own kid while on the sideline.

I have no problem with parents cheering for their kid on their team but what I have a problem with is when parents take it too far.

No comments: