Thursday, February 8, 2018


On Feb. 7, Minneapolis North and Minneapolis Southwest went up against each other in a boys’ basketball game. Going into the game North had an overall record of 14-4 while Southwest’s overall record was 6-11.

Southwest looked to set the tempo of the game early. They pushed the ball down the floor and looked to get everyone involved in the offense.

It took a while for the North’s offense to get going.

North called a timeout with 16:30 left in the first half. The score was tied at 2.

North went to a full-court press. That made it difficult for Southwest to bring the ball down the floor.

Both teams struggled to shoot the ball early in the game.

Southwest called a timeout with 13:21 left in the first half. The score was North 8, Southwest 2.

Southwest’s JayZee Brown took the ball down the floor. He was able to get his teammates involved in the offense.

North’s Omar Brown attacked the basket and came up with mid-range jump shots and layups. His teammates did a good job of getting him the ball in spots where he could get shots.

Both teams looked to make fast breaks off turnovers.

North’s Willie Wilson came off screens and made layups. If he didn’t think that he had a good look at the basket he would pass it to one of his teammates.

North called a timeout 6:31 left in the first half. The score was North 21, Southwest 13.

Southwest’s Ari Bogen-Grose took the ball to the basket through traffic and made layups. Bogen-Grose also looked to make mid-range jump shots.

Neither team went on a huge run in the first half. There were multiple ties and lead changes throughout the first half.

Bogen-Grose got hot late in the first half. He came up with clutch shots.

At halftime, the score was North 36, Southwest 34.

As the second half got underway Southwest continued to attack the basket.

Omar Brown continued to take the ball to the basket and looked to make layups.

Southwest called a timeout with 13:56 left in regulation. The score was North 46, Southwest 40.

Southwest’s Treavon Nystrom came up with rebounds on both ends of the floor. He was able to get the ball to his teammates who would be able to make shots.

Southwest had trouble shooting the ball in the second half. Even though they had a difficult time shooting they kept on attempting to shoot the ball.

Both teams played hard throughout the game. North picked up their offensive production in the second half.

North came away with the 79-51 victory over Southwest.

The leading scorers for North were Tayler Johnson with 27 points, and Odell Wilson IV with 22 points.

The leading scorer for Southwest was Ari Bogen-Grose with 15 points.

No comments: