Sunday, October 17, 2010

ARE HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS GETTING TOO VIOLENT?

Are Minnesota high school sports getting too violent? That is the question that the press is looking at in the wake of different violent events.


I myself have witnessed some violence at local sporting events. I was at a football game where a fight broke out.


This football season has reached the midway point. But let’s take a look at some violent events that have taken place already this season.


At the beginning of season there were reports of hazing at Elk River High School. On Thursday, September 30, 2010 there was a fight in the stands at the St. Paul Como versus St Paul Central football game. That fight spilled out into a neighborhood gas station. On Sunday October 2, 2010 A few Robbinsdale Armstrong football players were accused of 'inappropriate behavior'. There have also been reports of high school hazing at Champlin Park High School. About 10 students from Champlin Park High School will be disciplined for hazing and harassing behavior during a pre-homecoming toilet-papering spree that the school has been working to curtail.


I don’t like the violence that has taken place at these contests. I have been able to share my views with the local media outlets about what has taken place in the local sporting scene. I have been in the Minneapolis Star Tribune on the fights that occurred at St Paul Central. I have also been on KARE 11, and KSTP Ch 5.


All the negative publicity that the fights and hazing that has happened so far this fall has been really sad.

No comments: