Sunday, January 29, 2012


The Duluth East Greyhounds traveled to Richfield, Minnesota for a basketball game against Holy Angels.

Holy Angels looked to set the tempo of the game early. Duluth East looked to use a full court man-to-man press. They made it hard for Holy Angels to get the ball down court.

Duluth East guard Johnny Bernard Woodard took the ball hard to the basket. He was able to get his defender to foul him and got to the free throw line.

Duluth East got the ball into the hands of Akolda Manyang the center. He took the ball hard to the basket and made nice layups close to the basket.

Duluth East looked to take time off the clock by passing the ball around the three-point line. It was easy for them to do that because Holy Angels was in a zone defense.

Holy Angels was worried if Duluth East took a long-range three-point shot. They would let them take that shot. They were more worried if they took shots within the three-point line.

Holy Angels got the ball into the hands of Danny Sullivan. Sullivan shot the ball well and hit shots.

Holy Angels was not afraid to shoot the ball. They looked to shoot the three-point shot. Duluth East did a good job of defending the Holy Angels shooters.

The speed of the game picked up for a bit with about 7:00 left in the first half. Both teams were settling on the first shot they could take and would shoot it on the first chance they got instead of getting into an offensive pattern.

Shaq Coleman for Duluth East did a good job of getting to the basket with the ball. He looked to get layups.

The score was close throughout the first half. Neither team went on a run in the first half.

Holy Angels took time off the clock late in the first half. They passed the ball around the three-point line just like Duluth East did earlier in the contest.

Taylor Stafford for Duluth East hit a three-point shot at the buzzer to make the halftime score Duluth East 32 and Holy Angles 30.

Holy Angels started the second half in a zone defense. They were successful in the zone the first half.

There were several ties and lead changes in the game. Neither team gave up easy shots.

Holy Angels came up with some defensive steals and they were able to score layups on the offensive end.

Duluth East went on a run midway through the second half. They were able to get a 50-42 lead with 11:25 left in regulation.

Duluth East did a good job of getting the ball down the court and scoring baskets in transition in the second half.

Holy Angels tried to get back in the game but Duluth East stepped up their defensive pressure and that made it difficult to make shots.

Duluth East held the ball and swung it around the three-point line late in the game to take as much time off the clock.

In a hard fought game Duluth East came away with the 81-68 victory over Holy Angels.

I thought that both teams played well throughout the game. I was impressed by the play of Duluth East's Woodard and Akolda Manyang.

The leading scorer for Holy Angels was Danny Sullivan with 29 points. The leading scorers for Duluth East were Johnny Woodard with 34 points, Taylor Stafford with 24, and Akolda Manyang with 17 points. 

No comments: