Friday, March 30, 2012


It was the battle of Minneapolis as Washburn took on DeLaSalle in the class AAA state championship game. Both teams looked to get into their offense early in the game.

The score went back and forth in the first half. Neither team got any easy baskets in the early going.

Washburn played mostly man-to-man defense in the first half. They didn't want to give up any easy baskets.

At the first media timeout with 10:26 left in the first half the score was DeLaSalle 11 and Washburn 8.
De LaSalle went on a little run after the first media time out. Washburn didn't panic on the offensive end.

Both teams went back and forth. Both teams played very aggressive on both ends of the court. DeLaSalle came out and played man

There was a media timeout with 6:57 left in the first half.

Washburn's Joseph Doby was all over the floor. He was able to find his shot and hit shots from everywhere on the floor.

In a defensive battle the score at halftime was DeLaSalle 34 and Washburn 33. Washburn shot 12-21 from the field that included going 0-2 from the three-point line. DeLaSalle was 13-28 from the field that included going 1-7 from behind the three-point line.

As the second half got underway both team continued to shoot well. The score continued to go back and forth. Both teams looked for ways to get to the basket.

There was a media timeout with 10:01 the score was DeLaSalle 43 and Washburn 41. The defensive pressure that each team played was just at a high pitch. Both of these teams played outstanding defense.

With both teams so evenly matched it was truly disappointing to see any one of them lose. But that is why we come to the state championship games. We want to see the best play the best. Fans were not disappointed with this game.

The score went back and forth and everyone both teams clamped down on their defense to apply even more pressure. Both of these teams brought a lot of fans.

Both teams continued to grind it out. This was one of the better high school games that I have done because neither team gave up and they all played hard.

Reid Travis was all over the floor. He was able to hit baskets from anywhere on the court.

There was a media timeout with 3:53 left in regulation. The score was DeLaSalle 49 and Washburn 46.

Washburn called a timeout with 1:32 left in the game the score was DeLaSalle 51 and Washburn 49.

The game came down to the wire.

Dwight Anderson was fouled with 2.9 seconds left to go and he missed the first free-throw and there was a timeout.

The score was tied at 51 at the end of regulation.

As the overtime period got underway both teams worked the ball around to find the best shot. The score went back and forth in the overtime period.

Luke Scott drains a three-point shot with 36 seconds left to go to give DeLaSalle a one point lead. Washburn called a timeout with 34.8 seconds left. The score was DeLaSalle 55 and Washburn 54.

In a dramatic ending, Ross Barker hit a shot at the buzzer and DeLaSalle came away with the 57-56 victory over Washburn to win the class AAA state boys' championship. 

No comments: