Sunday, February 1, 2015


Litchfield went up against St. Cloud Cathedral in a boys’ basketball game on Dec. 30. This game used a 35-second shot clock. 

Litchfield started out in a zone defense. They wanted to spread the Cathedral offense out and force them to take deep 3-point shots. 

 Cathedral’s guard Brindley Theisen. He came up with mid-range jump shots. If Theisen though that he had an open shot at the basket he would shoot it. 

Both teams used a lot of time off the 35-second shot clock in the first half.

Litchfield’s Noah Kreger came off the bench and provided an offensive spark. On the offensive end he was able to bring the ball down the floor and get the ball to his teammates. 

The score went back and forth as neither team went on a run. 

Cathedral did a good job of talking to each other on the defensive end. They called out picks and were able to set good picks for each other. 

Litchfield’s Dylan Kotzer also came up with huge 3-point baskets in the first half. The defense had a hard time slowing Kotzer down. 

At halftime the score was Cathedral 20, Litchfield 19.

Litchfield looked to push the ball down the floor and score layups in transition to open up the second half. They were able to get the ball into the hands of Kotzer and Nic Meyer. Both Kotzer and Meyer were able hit mid-range jump shots and layups throughout the second half.

The score went back and forth with several ties and lead changes in the second half.

Litchfield’s Bryant Bohlig came up with deep 3-point baskets from the top of the key. If he didn’t think he was going to make the 3-point basket Bohlig would look to drive to the basket and make layups. Teammate Cody Rau also came up with layups in the second half to keep Litchfield in the game.

Cathedral called a timeout with 9:04 left in the second half. The score was Cathedral 36, Litchfield 32.

The score continued to go back and forth throughout the second half.

Cathedral head coach Matt Meyer received a technical foul with 5:54 left in regulation for saying something to the official.  

Neither team went on a run in the second half. It was a very hard fought and physical game played by both teams. 

Litchfield called a timeout with 2:45 left in regulation. The score was Cathedral 49, Litchfield 48. 

Litchfield’s Rau and Kotzer each came up with huge baskets for their team. They played hard and didn’t give up easy baskets on both ends of the floor. 

The game was tied at 52 at the end of regulation.

As the overtime period got underway Litchfield’s Rau stepped up and knocked down shots from behind the 3-point line. 

Litchfield came away with the 62-55 overtime victory over Cathedral. 

No comments: