Wednesday, July 24, 2013


On July 22, HPA took on Pat Madison in a basketball game in the Howard Pulley Pro City Summer League. Both teams looked excited to play as this game as it was the first game in the Pro City Summer League Playoffs.
The game got off to a quick start as each team raced up and down the court trading baskets.
Both teams were able to score layups at will in the first quarter.
Tyus Jones and Reid Travis had good communication skills on the floor. They knew where their teammates were and they were able to get each other the ball in spots where the other one could hit his shot.
There were many ties and lead changes throughout the first quarter.
Jarvis Johnson played well for HPA he knew where to shoot the ball from and he let the game come to him. Johnson did a good job of making his layups in traffic. He was not afraid to shoot the ball from anywhere on the floor.
Jones was all over the floor. He was able to get his teammates involved in the offense. Jones was also able to set the tempo of the game to his style.
Malik Smith for Pat Madison was all over the floor his team. He dove on the floor for loose balls and went after rebounds on both ends of the floor.
After a quarter of play the score was HPA 34, Pat Madison 27.
Pat Madison looked to push the ball down the floor as they looked to get fast break baskets. HPA did all they could to try to slow down Pat Madison on offense but they had trouble doing that.
Terry Campbell for Pat Madison took the ball hard to the basket as he was able to hit shots throughout the first half.
Antonio Tate for HPA did a good job of beating his defender off the dribble and taking the ball hard to the basket for layups.
Bjorn Broman for HPA came up with some nice baskets as he was able to weave his way past his defenders and get to the basket and make contested layups.
The score at halftime was HPA 52, Pat Madison 49.
As the third quarter got underway both teams continued to attack the basket.
Pat Madison swung the ball around the three-point line as they wanted to take time off of the shot clock. They were able to do that.
The score continued to go back and forth throughout the third quarter. There were many ties and lead changes in the third quarter.
After three quarters of play the score was HPA 79, Pat Madison 76.
Both teams continued to battle in the third quarter. Neither team gave up any easy shots.
The score went back and forth throughout the fourth quarter. Everyone went hard after loose balls and rebounds on both teams.
There were many fast break chances in the fourth quarter. Both teams were able to score on the fast breaks as the game came down to the wire.
The play got sloppy late in the contest. Both teams were getting tired but they didn’t panic.
Both teams got a little chippy late in the game as the intensity rose.
In a very intense game and a good game that came down to the wire Pat Madison came away with the thrilling 108-104 victory over HPA.
The leading scorers for Pat Madison were Michael Campbell with 27 points, Troy Bell and Jefferson Mason each with 20 points and Malik Smith with 14 points.
The leading scorers for HPA were Reid Travis with 40 points, Tyus Jones with 24 points and Jarvis Johnson with 9 points.

No comments: