Wednesday, July 24, 2013

MND1 SUMMER BASKETBALL CLASSIC DAY 1 AND 2 THOUGHTS

MND1 AAU basketball program put on a summer AAU boys’ basketball classic during the weekend of July 18-21.
 
On Thursday night I was able to come over and check out some of the games that were played at Jefferson High School in Bloomington. There were multiple games going on when I arrived. I took my time walking around the gym looking at all of the games that were going on.
 
Amir Coffee, who plays for MND1, was playing. I noticed that there were other media members who were watching the game as well. Coffee, who attends the Hopkins High School and will graduate from high school in 2016, was playing a game. I stopped and watched a little of that game.
 
Coffee is getting national attention as teams like Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, Penn State and Purdue are all interested in him as a player.
 
After I saw the games that I wanted to see on Thursday night. I went over to cover the Howard Pulley Pro City Summer League.
 
On Friday after I got done with my regular job I traveled back out to Jefferson for another day of action.
 
College coaches from across the country were able to show up and watch the games because this tournament falls into the Division I live recruiting period.
 
I was able to meet and talk to a lot of different college coaches.
 
Because of the set up in the gym I was unable to get a spot for me to set up and really do a game so I decided to think about other places to report from.
 
I also didn’t want to bore you with the same old thing.
 
One of the things that impressed me the most is how all of the college coaches get along with each other. They are really friendly off the court.
 
I was able to have some good conversations with some of the coaches while I stood up on the track watching some of the tournament.
 
What was cool for me being a blogger is I get introduced to these coaches and some of them already know who I am by my site. Others I have met before at other events like this.
 
Most of my conversations with college coaches revolved around asking them how their summer is going and how their past season was. Everyone seems to be in a good mood.
 
It is another way for me to network with coaches who I haven’t talked to in a long time or who I have never met before.

 
Overall I thought that this was a very good tournament. I think that there are good games all around and it also give different college coaches a coaches to mingle with each other while taking in a game or two. On Saturday and Sunday there will be more of the tournament to be played.

No comments: