Monday, August 24, 2009

WILLSHAUN DEVON BOXLEY WILL BRING THE HEAT

Willshaun Devon Boxley is from Indiana. He currently is a boxer. His two boxing names are The One and Fist Of Legend. At 5’ 3’ he fights in the Super Bantamweight division.

I was able to get a hold of Willshaun and he told me about his boxing career. I asked him how he gets amped for fights. “I think about my future. I start to yarn a bit at that moment. It’s when I realize that I'm nervous, I start to move around looking at everyone who's around me. My corner tells me to relax, but I keep moving as if I am just waking up. I am starting to come alive, but I am very silent or I'm talking about what I’m going to do to the other guy, after I'm rapped up I warm up by hitting the pads. I ask my coach afterwards how’s the power? Ron Lyke, my coach tells me ‘you're hitting hard as shit.’ I start to smile because I know it's true. There's a certain look you get when it's not! I get ready for the next step, which is my music. I have over a hundred tracks that I could use but it has to feel right to me in my heart depending on the crowd and the venue. As I walk out I hear my music. I check my swag. I feel the energy of the crowd. It gives me a rush from head to toe, a rush that I have to gain control of before this fight starts, because there's no room for mistakes. I enter the ring keeping my composure. As I take a lap around the ring, I’m feeling out my surroundings. That makes me comfortable and now I am ready. It's just me and him.”


Willshaun was born in Elkhart Indiana. He spent a few years in Detroit, Michigan. After living in Minneapolis for the past 17years he considers Minnesota his home. He went to Minneapolis Southwest High School. His first fight was in 2001. He currently trains at ACR. His head coach is Ron Lyke. He said that the best thing that he likes about boxing is the art of it. I asked him what does it take to become a good boxer? “Commitment. I could say more motivating words, but it would only lead back to this one word. Commitment.”

I asked Willshaun what he wants people to know about boxing that they might not know.”I love all of the support that I have received here in Minnesota. I think that boxing has grown here in Minnesota. One day I will bring the belt home!”

No comments: