Monday, May 11, 2009

LACROSSE LOVE,OLD SCHOOL AND SENIOR YEAR

From the Star News Online By Rachel George:

This week I talked with Laney's Addison Newman. The Bucs' senior had led the boys lacrosse team to its first playoff win since 2003 as Laney beat Holly Springs 12-5. Newman had three goals and five assists, giving him 32 and 40, respectively, this season.

Newman and the Bucs will face second-seeded Charlotte Providence in the second round of the North Carolina High School Lacrosse Association playoffs on Friday.

Rachel George: How'd you first get started in lacrosse?

Addison Newman: I started out in sixth grade. My brother had friends playing and he had a stick in the backyard and I just picked it up.

RG: Was it kind of a love-at-first-sight thing? Haven't given it up?

AN: Definitely.

RG: What is it that's kept you hooked, kept you playing?

AN: It's a different sport. It's a lot different than any other sport. I enjoy the fast pace.

RG: You guys have 17 seniors on the team this year, now you've won a playoff game. What's it like to do this with guys you've been with for four years?

AN: Real special. To have our senior class like that and be able to advance in the playoffs, it's a good way to leave Laney.

RG: I'm sure you guys have fun goofing off. Any funny stories from the season?

AN: I'd say the funniest story was our trip up to Virginia, going to Busch Gardens, that was probably the highlight of our season. We had a lot of fun. One of our guys, Ryan, a little too much for him, threw up over everybody.

RG: Why? Because of the rides?

AN: Just probably ate right before and just couldn't hold it in. Just barfed all over everyone.

RG: That doesn't sound like fun to me.

AN: Not at all. It was funny though. I didn't get thrown up on.

RG: Oh, so of course, you thought it was funny.

RG: When you're not playing lacrosse and you're out of season, what are you doing?

AN: Beach, a lot, a lot of the beach. I love going to the beach. Hang out with friends, I guess that's about it.

RG: You a surfer?

AN: No, I'm not a surfer. I just enjoy the beach. Pretty much just swim.

RG: When it comes to school, do you have a favorite subject?

AN: I'd probably say writing, English is my favorite.

RG: That's what I like to hear.

AN: Definitely. Journalism, I've actually looked into journalism. I did my senior project on journalism.

RG: You still interested in being a journalist?

AN: I like to write. I'm a big writer.

RG: What about a favorite teacher?

AN: I don't like any teachers. (Laughs) I'm just kidding. I like Broomfield, I like going in his room and talking to him during the day. A lot of the sports coaches, coach Adams.

RG: Now, senior year is winding down. Have y'all had prom yet?

AN: No, prom is the 16th.

RG: What's it kind of like going through this part where everything's the last this, the last that?

AN: I'm just starting to realize this is the end of my high school career and I just want to leave it with a bang and enjoy all of it.

RG: Any senior pranks?

AN: Not yet.

RG: Anything in the works?

AN: Can't tell you. (Laughs) No, we don't have anything.

RG: Now, do you guys do yearbook quotes or anything like that?

AN: Yeah.

RG: What was yours?

AN: It was stupid. It was real stupid.

RG: What was it?

AN: It was from 'Old School.' It doesn't make any sense.

RG: Well, what was it?

AN: It's, all right, there's a letter from 'Old School' that he posts up on the door. It just says, this what I put my quote, it's really off the wall, it's just something about they - it makes no sense - they boarded up the windows and doors. We're in the EconoLodge room 121, just meet us there.

RG: Why would you pick something like that?

AN: I don't know. I just think some of my buddies would understand it.

RG: Do you know where you're going to school?

AN: State. N.C. State.

RG: What will you remember from four years at Laney? What's going to stick with you?

AN: Probably the senior lacrosse season. This has been definitely our best year in a while. We worked really hard to get here.

RG: Now try to keep it going, right?

AN: Yeah, definitely.

No comments: