Wednesday, November 9, 2011

PENN STATE FOOTBALL COACH JOE PATERNO TO RETIRE AT THE END OF THE SEASON

According to the Associated Press head football coach at Penn State University Joe Paterno will retire at the end of this season.

According to Time Newsfeed's Nick Carbone, “Joe Paterno has been caught up in a sex scandal. Jerry Sandusky who was the celebrated former Penn State football defensive coordinator was arrested November 5, 2011, facing charges that he sexually abused eight young boys. Some reports are saying the number of accusers could reach 17. Sandusky, 67, founded The Second Mile organization in 1977 while working at Penn State. The mission of the non-profit charity was to help troubled young boys, through which prosecutors allege he met the eight boys. The alleged abuses occurred from 1994 to 2009, according to a grand jury investigation. His charges tally 40 in total, the most serious being seven counts of first-degree involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, punishable by up to 20 years in prison and a $25,000 fine.”

According to the Associated Press this is a chronological look at the case against former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, based on a grand jury report in Pennsylvania state court. Some key dates in Penn State football history are included. Sandusky has been charged with 40 criminal counts, accusing him of serial sex abuse of minors.

According to a statement released by the school Joe Paterno said, “I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief.

“I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today.”

“That’s why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can.

“This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.”

“My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University.”

Joe Paterno started coaching at Penn State in 1950, when he was the assistant coach. In 1966, Paterno took over at the helm as head coach and has been the head coach ever since.

No comments: