Tuesday, January 11, 2011

THE UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA RESPONDS TO TREVOR MBAKWE’S ARREST

By U of M Athletic Communications  January 11, 2011 

University of Minnesota director of athletics Joel Maturi and men’s head basketball coach Tubby Smith announced Wednesday that that there would be no change in the playing status of junior forward Trevor Mbakwe.

“Trevor had a lapse in judgment,” Smith said. “I believe his actions were well intended, but misguided, and we have made the decision not to suspend him after looking into the matter further. We believe this is the appropriate thing for Trevor and the program at this time. We view this as an educational opportunity for all of our players.”

Mbakwe sent a Facebook message to a former girlfriend in violation no-harassment order that both parties agreed to in August of 2009. Mbakwe had not been in contact with the individual since that date.

The message Mbakwe sent via Facebook read: “I know we haven't talked in forever and trust me I'm not trying to start any drama with nobody in your life or anything. I just wanted to wish u the best with everything and I hope all has been well with you and your family. I am still disappointed how everything played out and I do wish that in the future we could be cool again. Idk how u r going to take this msg hopefully its not bad but I just wanted to wish u a happy new year and send out a congrats for graduating. I've been well I'm finally playin bball again in everything down in miami finally got taken care of thank god. Well idk if u will respond or not but best wishes for 2011.”

Smith said will have no further comment on the issue today.

The Gophers will hold their usual pre-game media availability on Wednesday following practice at approximately 11:30 a.m. in Williams Arena in advance of their Thursday night home game vs. Purdue.

No comments: