Monday, March 9, 2009

COURTNEY PARIS TO GIVE BACK SCHOLARSHIP?

by foxsports.com

Star center Courtney Paris is confident that the Oklahoma women's basketball team will win the national championship this season. How confident? She's willing to bet her scholarship on it.

Paris, who holds the NCAA record for most consecutive double-doubles at 112 games, has stated multiple times in the last week that she would pay back her scholarship money if the Sooners do not win the title.


"I have a passion for our fans and university, and I want to do something special," Paris said. "That's why I put my scholarship on the table. I meant what I said."

According to a report by the Oklahoman, that figure would come to roughly $16,000 per year, meaning Paris would "owe" close to $64,000 to the university if the team does not win it all.

"I love her passion, love her belief in what she thinks this team can do," Oklahoma coach Sherri Coale said, according to the paper. "The most important part of reaching a goal is believing you can." The rest of the team seems intent on making sure Paris does not have to follow through on her pledge.

"We'll win a national championship, so I'm hoping she's not going to have to pay it back," Paris' sister, Ashley, told the Oklahoman. "We're going to try and work hard so she doesn't have to. "But if anything horrible goes wrong, I'll hold her accountable for paying it back."

Paying it back would be difficult if Paris goes onto the WNBA, as most expect she will. Even top players in the league make less than $100,000.


Still, Paris is not backing off her promise.


"I feel like we're not missing pieces. If we play hard, we execute, we are a great team that can win a national championship," Paris said. "If we don't do that, it won't be because we're not good enough.


"So when you're good enough and don't do something, then you have to take accountability for that and that's your own fault. We can win a national championship. If we don't, I'll feel like I didn't earn my scholarship."

No comments: